Saturday, March 3, 2012

"Who Do You Think You Are?" with Reba McEntire

I am a little late to this episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" - family obligations and all :)

Reba knew a considerable amount about her father's McEntire line, so she chose her journey to focus on her mother's side, the Brasfield's.  I appreciated that early on, she asked one of the genealogists to help her find her earliest ancestor to step foot in America.  I think this is a very common theme among American researchers.  She also encountered times when the family name was spelled differently than what she was used to - that happens to me frequently.  Remember my Blanchard's or Blanchette's?

Reba was able to follow her Brasfield line back to a village in England.  I also have lines in England, who came via Ireland.  On my genealogy bucket list is a trip to Birtley, County Durham, England.  I don't know about you, but I want to see where my people lived.

This was overall a good episode, but honestly didn't grip me like some do.  Perhaps it is because I am not a fan of country music, so I wasn't as invested in Reba.  I am glad to learn the ratings were up.  As a way to keep genealogy and history in front of the general public...keep them coming, NBC!