Thursday, April 12, 2012

THIMBY Thursday - The History In My Backyard - Canal Multimedia

As I was contemplating my next post about the I & M Canal, I read this area newspaper article.  A Local History teacher at Minooka Community High School has published a book covering the history of the canal.  I will be buying this soon!

Morris Daily Herald article

The article mentions the canal museum collection at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois.  This is another item on my local history bucket list. Unfortunately for me, the collection is only open on a by-appointment basis, so working sort of precludes a drop in visit.  But I will get there!

Lewis University - Canal Collection

Finally, the Joliet Area Historical Museum has a 2-story replica canal as it might have appeared during construction.  The museum houses lots of the everyday items and tools of the mid-late 1800's, specifically relating to the Joliet area.

Joliet Area History Museum

These are only a few of the things I've uncovered as I learn more about the I & M Canal.  I hope you can find and share local history information as well!

locktender's house along canal
***
© 2012 Sally Knudsen