Thursday, July 18, 2013

THIMBY Thursday - Grundy County Historical Museum

THIMBY Thursday is back!

THIMBY Thursday - meaning "The History in My Backyard" - is an occasional series I began to document interesting or historical things I encounter in my travails. Have camera, will travel.

Today's entry is the Grundy County Historical Museum in Morris, Grundy, Illinois. Morris is the quintessential small Midwestern town, located on I-80 about 75 minutes from Chicago. Morris, with a population of about 14,000, is home to the Grundy County Corn Festival, held every September.

The Grundy County Historical Museum is filled with various exhibits, photographs, and memorabilia from the area. The museum is open Thursday - Saturday (see link below) and admission is free. Thank you to Dorothy for showing me around!

Grundy County Historical Museum

many of the exhibits

my favorite: giant framed display of early Morris settlers

farm shed FILLED with tools and implements

various types of barbed wire - who knew?

excellent I and M Canal diorama

Links:

Grundy County Historical Society and Museum website
Downtown Morris link
Wikipedia: Morris, Illinois


View Larger Map

***
© 2013 Sally Knudsen